Saturday 21 November 2015

Trina's carrot and lentil soup

This is the soup we had at Trina's a couple of Christmasses ago, I think she found the recipe somewhere on the net.

I'll give you the original version then I'll give you my lazy adjustments!

I always make soup (and casseroles) a day in advance as the flavours mature and improve

Freezes well, reheats easily either in the microwave or a pan

Probably serves 4-5 adults (depending on the adults)

1 litre vegetable stock
2 large carrots (peeled)
1 medium potato (peeled)
1 medium onion (peeled)
1 cup of red lentils soaked and/or part cooked according to the packet (I cooked them in the stock)
2 teaspoons of cumin
Grind of pepper

The lentils may get foamy whilst cooking so you may have to skim

Chop and fry the veg then simmer with the lentils in the stock until cooked (veg needs to be soft enough to liquidise and lentils need to be soft)

I usually liquidise when it is cool as boiling some can fly a long way during liquidising!

Trina noted that her cumin was quite old and therefore not as powerful as it might be.  If you don't like things too spicy then use it with caution, I found half a teaspoon from a new jar was enough for me, but I don't like spicy.

If you want to use frozen carrots I found 190-200 grams was about right, you could probably use tinned carrots if that is all you have, they won't need to be cooked, just added to the soup before you liquidize

I didn't bother frying the veg and no-one has complained!

No comments:

Post a Comment